Kevin X. McKennan, MD
Dr. Kevin McKennan, board-certified otolaryngologist, joined Sacramento Ear, Nose & Throat in 1987. Dr. McKennan is a subspecialist in otology (hearing disorders and their treatments, including cochlear implants), neurotology (balance disorders resulting from nerve injuries or degeneration) and skull base surgery. He is known as a highly-regarded national and international expert in these fields.
Dr. McKennan has published many articles and lectured nationally and internationally on various hearing and balance disorder topics, including cochlear implementation, vertigo, and ear tumors. In addition, he has conducted a substantial amount of research on hearing and balance disorders, and much of this research has been published in national and international peer-reviewed journals.
Dr. McKennan completed his undergraduate education at the University of Rochester in 1974 and his medical school education at Albany Medical College in 1978. He completed his residency in otolaryngology and head and neck surgery at the University of California, Davis in 1985. Following his residency, Dr. McKennan completed a one-year fellowship in otology, neurotology, and skull base surgery at the Otology Group in Nashville, Tennessee. Between 1979 and 1981, he worked for the National Health Services Corps in the Indian Health Service/Public Health Service as a general practitioner and emergency room physician.
Dr. McKennan has served as the president of the Sacramento Otolaryngology Society since 1993. He also served on the Board of Community Advisors for the Norcal Center on Deafness. Dr. McKennan is a Fellow of the American Academy of Otolaryngology, the American Neurotologic Society, and the William House Cochlear Implant Society. He is affiliated with Sutter and Mercy Hospitals in the Sacramento area.
Dr. McKennan resides in Sacramento with his wife, Janice, and their three children, Sarah, Lauren and Philip.
- Weir GC, Knowlton S, Atkins R, McKennan KX, Martin D: Glucagon Secretion in the Perfused Rat Pancreas of Streptozotocin-Treated Rats. Diabetes 25(4): 275-282, 1976.
- Glasscock ME, Kveton JR, Jackson CG, Levine SC, McKennan KX: A Systematic Approach to the Management of Acoustic Neuroma: A 600 Case Experience. Laryngoscope 96(10): 1088-1094, 1986.
- Jackson DG, Glasscock ME, McKennan KX, et. al.: The Surgical Treatment of Skull Base Tumors with Intracranial Extension. Laryngoscope 96(2): 175-185, 1987.
- Glasscock ME, McKennan KX, Levine SC: Revision Stapedectomy Surgery. Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery 96(2): 141-148, 1987.
- Jackson CG, Levine SC, McKennan KX: Hemangioma of the Middle Ear. American Journal of Otology 8(2): 131-132, 1987.
- Glasscock ME, McKennan KX, Levine SC: Acoustic Neuroma Surgery – The Results of Hearing Conservation Surgery. Laryngoscope 97(7): 785-789, 1987.
- Glasscock ME, McKennan KX, Levine SC: Persistent Perilymph Fistulas. Laryngoscope 97(7): 860-864, 1987.
- Glasscock ME, McKennan KX, Levine SC: Primary Adenocarcinoma of the Middle Ear and Temporal Bone, Archives of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery 113: 822-824, 1987.
- Glasscock ME, McKennan KX, Levine SC: Osteoma of the Middle Ear: A Case Report. Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery 97(1): 64-65, 1987.
- Glasscock ME, Levine SC, McKennan KX: The Changing Characteristics of Acoustic Neuroma Patients over the Last Ten Years. Laryngoscope 1164-1168, 1987.
- Glasscock ME, McKennan KX, Levine SC: Medical and Surgical Treatment of Sudden Hearing Loss. Book chapter in Dilemmas of Otolaryngology. DNF Harrison (Ed.). Churchill Livingstone; New York, NY, 1988.
- Glasscock ME, McKennan KX: Sensorineural Hearing Loss in Children – A Differential Diagnosis, Book chapter in Hearing Impairment in Children. Vanderbilt University Press; Nashville, TN, 1988.
- Glasscock ME, McKennan KX, Levine SC: False Negative MRI Scan in an Acoustic Neuroma. Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery 98(6): 612-614, 1988.
- McKennan KX, Sheaffer D: Anchoring Device for the Xomed Implant. Laryngoscope 99(7): 766-767, 1989.
- Levine SC, Glasscock ME, McKennan KX: Long Term Results of Labyrinthectomy. Laryngoscope 100(2): 125-127, 1990.
- Jackson CG, Levine SC, McKennan KX: Recurrent Hemangioma of the External Auditory Canal. American Journal of Otology 11(2): 117-118, 1990.
- McKennan KX: “Tissue Welding” with the Argon Laser in Middle Ear Surgery, Laryngoscope 100(11): 1143-1145, 1990.
- Glasscock ME, Levine SC, McKennan KX: Tympanoplasty Implants. Book chapter in Otolaryngology. Paparella, Shumrick, Gluckman, and Meyeroff (Eds.). Saunders; Philadelphia, PA, 1991.
- McKennan KX, Bard A: Neurofibromatosis Type 2: A Report of a Family and Review of Current Evaluation and Treatment. Laryngoscope 101 (2): 109-113, 1991.
- McKennan KX: Neurofibromatosis type 1: A Rare Case Resulting in Conductive Hearing Loss. Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery 104(6): 868-872, 1991.
- McKennan KX: Cholesteatoma: Recognition and Management. American Family Physician 43(6): 2091-2096, 1991.
- McKennan KX, Chole RA: Traumatic External Auditory Stenosis. American Journal of Otology 13(1): 80-81, 1991.
- McKennan KX, Chole RA: Facial Nerve Paralysis in Temporal Bone Trauma. American Journal of Otology. March 1992.
- McKennan KX: Endoscopic “Second Look” Mastoidoscopy to Rule Out Residual Epitympanic/Mastoid Cholesteatoma. Laryngoscope. Vol 103(7): 810-814, July 1993.
- McKennan KX: Endoscopic Transcutaneous Mastoidoscopy for Evaluation of Residual Epitympanic/Mastoid Cholesteatoma. American Journal of Otology. 14(4): 369-372. July 1993.
- McKennan KX and Bard A: Endoscopy of the Internal Auditory Canal During Hearing Conservation Acoustic Tumor Surgery. American Journal of Otology. Vol 14(3): 259-262, May 1993.
- McKennan KX, Nielsen SL, Watson C, Wiesner K: Meniere’s Disease: An Atypical Presentation of Giant Cell Arteritis. Laryngoscope October 1993.
Clinical Research: Principal Investigator
- Eli Lilly: Evaluation of second generation cephalosporins for treatment of chronic otitis media. 1990-1991.
- Otonomy 104-201102: A Prospective, Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled, Multicenter, Phase 2b Study of OTO-104 Given as a Single Intratympanic Injection in Subjects with Unilateral Meniere’s Disease. Sep/2013-Jun/2015
- Autifony AUT022063 The Clarity-1 Study: A Balanced, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Double-Blind Study of the Efficacy and Safety of AUT00063 Versus Placebo in Age-Related Hearing Loss [CLARITY-1 Study] Mar/2015-Pres.
- Otonomy 104-201506: A Prospective, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Multicenter, Phase 3 Efficacy and Safety Study of OTO-104 Given as a Single Intratympanic Injection in Subjects with Unilateral Meniere’s Disease . Oct/2015-Pres.
Undergraduate Education: University of Rochester
Albany Medical College
University of California, Davis
Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery